New work is lucrative but also benefits the greater good
New work is lucrative insofar as the implementation of novel work models can help raise the level of competitiveness and thus increase profits. The success of new work relies on creative measures that enable employees, resources and funding to be re-allocated for more useful purposes, increasing the productivity and living standards in society. In this respect, new work is closely related to the concepts of disruptive innovation and creative destruction. To be viable in the long run, new work must improve wellbeing on a global scale.
The source of new work, income and success in the next 10-20 years will be megatrends which profoundly affect all fields of life, including governance, education, health care, science, funding, and diplomacy. Examples of these megatrends include
- preventive and corrective measures related to climate change and increased pollution
- production and delivery of food, water and energy
- measures necessitated by population growth: preventing urban decay, building new cities, managing migration
- research, development and promotion of local cultures, ways of living and quality of life.
Figure 3. Megatrends 2009+, Richard Watson, www.nowandthen.com. Wikimploi is the core platform for drafting practical applications related to megatrends. For this purpose, a global ICT system will be developed. It will combine the data from web-based applications such as Wikipedia, Google and Facebook with the development of the physical reality in which we live. Wikimploi is an enabler: by utilising both virtual and concrete measures it enables us to develop work which best serves humanity and the global quality of life. [The above figure is also available in PDF form.]
New work has a definition
New work is based on the balance of work, everyone’s personal balance of their work. All work done is made on extremely complex contexts, with dependencies and links to the organising and result (product, service, impact, future prospect) of the work.
The balance of work matters. All work needs a balance factor which defines the meaning, importance and priority of work through its need, direct benefit and added value.
Chart “Four categories of work” — from art to active destruction. The two first categories of work are positive, the value of Zero work is zero (nil, zilch, nothing). The value of Work for Desolation is extremely negative.
Work is divided into four categories according to the interest and output (final result, outcome, bottom line) of work done by an individual person, group or consortium. Categories of work are:
- Work for Desolation WfD (work against life, devastation, negative work). Balance of harmful work is negative up to to the power of ten (and logaritmically up to more). Typical representatives of WfD are terrorists, evil-doers, betrayers, bullies, persons with treacherous and long-lasting influence of systemic destruction (like Nazis with their coevals in Germany, terrorism, hostile and vitriolic actions. Usual contexts for respective actions are political parties and other alliances with opportunistic trusteeship and political supremacy, usually manifested through class hatred which may have very modern and hidden forms).
- Zero Work ZW (unnecessary, forlorn and trifling activity, waste of existence, loafing, free rider and stowaway mentality, shunning of work, combination of work and vandalism with balance of zero). Zero work is gratuitous and it never improves or facilitates human life. Typical zero workers are sluggards, free riders, people excavating and filling holes. However, zero work may withhold waistrels from Work for Desolation.
- Care & Maintenance Work CMW (work upholding and maintaining life, actions creating, building and maintaining systems and processes which support life,preserving, caring and restoring work, service, fixing, nursing, medication). Typical care & maintenance works are work at hospitals, childcare, basic education, a portion of professional training, a portion of traffic and transportation arrangements, a portion of total construction activities, a portion of cultural work, a portion of energy production, a portion ofproduction of goods and merchandise.
- Art Work AW (work improving and boosting life and human existence, ideation, envisioning, conceptualizing-concepting, planning, design, form-giving, virkistys, art, music, drama, which do not focus on zero work and Work for Desolation). Art work creates new and perfects existing things. In art work freedom, responsibility and power are maximized. Art work is done with highest level and capabilities of knowlegde, visdom, skills, crafts, understanding and comprehension. A person can assimilate art work through caring and highly professional interaction and work with master coevals and through caring criticism. Primary art work categories are music, theater and architecture and they are surrounded by sub-arts like painting, sculpture, composing, piano playing and recitation. Self-made amateur art, buffoonery, entertainment, “art of building” (Baukunst, byggekunst, byggnadskonst, ehituskunst, rakennustaide) and other mediocre and rabble “arts” are usually mingled with art work. DIY art, Do-It-Yorself Art, is mostly joking, therapy, spritual masturbating, self-deception and medium and vehicle for wanna-be-artistry. DIY artists pretend to be better persons through charade they don’t recognize by themselves. DIY art is normally lifelong falsehood.
Chart “Four categories of work” and their professions. The artist’s and nurse’s work balance factors are positive. Our weightlifter is working with +/– 0 (+/– zero) balance, but approaching the terrorist’s negative balance.
Definition of work and declaration of balance of work are the most important actions of the civilized society and community. Therefore all philosophers, politicians, researchers and educators should first define and describe the idea of work and then evaluate work by nature and impact in context, over time and through space.
Work defines cultures, philosophies, values and rights of existence. Livelihood and human dignity are evaluated through work. But nobody has defined what is work, what is valuable work, are there differences between the outputs of different work.
The only way to evaluate work is to define an understandable and comparable ratio for work in detail and holistic context. This ratio at best is a dynamic and ever changing factor which needs constant follow-up and sensitive monitoring. The balance of work can be described with a formula, formula of balance of work. It gives a systemic solution to judge what is good and bad work, who gets paid and whose actions has to be stopped.
This may sound difficult or impossible but that’s why we need to mobilize the best human resources for the effort. When each work, activity and intention has a dynamic factor of its input-output impact in context the world has better building blocks for the future.
United Nations and ILO should be the home for defining work. Universities globally should participate in the definition. Every trade organization and human being should partake in the definition from their own perspective.
After valuation of work (definition of input/output + contextual impact of work) we can organize taxes, education and support for individual working.
Balance of work can be calculated, version 0.8
Balance of work is complex by its nature. Still it is understandable and approachable. We just need algorithms and brainpower to define it.
Chart “Formula of Balance of Work”. Art work and Care & Maintenance work are the positive factors of the formula, Zero work and work of Desolation are negative factors. Distortion factor and i (imaginary factor) are individual coefficients which differ from person to person.
All four passengers in the omnibus form the meaning and value of the busdriver’s life. The bus driver’s balance of work comes from the passengers’ intentions and work output. In this unfortunate example the bus driver has monstrously negative balance of work: because of helping to kill 15 persons and slow-processing average symphony, not caring about the easily suicidal nurse and the not-suicidal wastrel the bus driver is a major assistant of murders, unhappy life, average art and waste of time.
How can we say so? The driver just chauffeured the passengers! The reason why the bus driver is responsible comes from several assumptions. 1) every individual is responsible of their backyard and orbit, their daily context with closest coevals, 2) everyone has to be conscious of the present moment and its near past and future (NOW +/- 1…60 minutes), 3) everyone has to be prepared for most of possible scenarios in context, 4) everyone has to care about coevals and their impacts to immediate surroundings.